Words of encouragement from Randy & Gayla
If you have trouble seeing the video, please click here.
My husband, Randy, and I recently celebrated 21 years of marriage. We’ve made it more than two decades together!
During our first year of marriage, I would have told you I wasn’t sure we would make it past year two. The challenges of blending four children together, ages 3-10, were harder than we anticipated. We did a lot of things wrong. But we did a few things right, too.
We were recently asked to share some tips and encouragement with families in our church who are walking the stepparenting road. I hope it encourages and empowers you also as you listen to what we’ve learned over 21 years as a stepfamily.
Points to remember:
- Be committed for the long haul.
- If it’s not life or death, let mercy prevail.
- Make the marriage relationship a priority.
- Manage the ex-spouse with grace and mercy.
- Recognize that your needs count too.
- Pray for wisdom…daily.
- Don’t take everything personally.
- Remember that rewards often come at the end of the journey, not the beginning.
You’ll notice at the end of the video I mention a class we’ve started here in the Shreveport area.
If you live close, we’d love to have you join us!
Do you have other tips or nuggets of encouragement? I’d love to hear them in the comments.