It’s easy to think we must be perfect in our stepfamily interactions and make huge steps every day to strengthen our relationships. But that isn’t true.
Small steps on a regular basis can result in huge dividends with your stepfamily.
Here are ten easy ways to show every day love and harbor positive relationships in your stepfamily:
1) Offer grace freely and often.
2) Think positive thoughts about your stepchildren; if a negative thought pops up – replace it.
3) Say at least one nice thing to each person in your stepfamily daily or as often as you see them.
4) Live “one day at a time” and enjoy the present moment – don’t project into the future.
5) Take care of yourself: emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually.
6) Strive to keep a thankful spirit.
7) Nurture your marriage with sweet gestures, alone time, and date nights.
8) Send thoughtful text messages when your stepchildren are away.
9) Deal with conflict when it occurs in a healthy context – don’t stuff it, don’t ignore it, don’t exaggerate it.
10) Pray for each member of your family daily.
Other ideas? What suggestions can you give to help strengthen stepfamily relationships?